Job Posting: Recreation Maintenance Supervisor
ANTICIPATED VACANCY: RECREATION MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR
SALARY – $46,945.60 (STEP 0)
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Supervises the planting and care of trees, flowers, shrubbery and lawns;
2. Directs the maintenance of parks and recreation areas, including playing fields, skating rinks, and swimming pools;
3. Schedules and assigns work in accordance with seasonal requirements and weather conditions;
4. Leads in work projects and works with personnel as needed on scheduled and emergency work projects;
5. Supervises all snowplowing of parks and recreation areas, the arterial highway and some municipal parking lots;
6. Supervises the maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment in recreation areas;
7. Requisitions supplies and equipment and makes budgetary recommendations pertaining to work projects;
8. Maintains daily records and prepares reports on activities;
9. Does related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance of grounds and recreation areas; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to keep detailed records and make reports; mechanical aptitude; reliability; resourcefulness; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
EITHER: (A) An Associate’s degree in Horticulture, Natural Resources Conservation or a related field and one (1) year of work experience supervising and performing grounds keeping and park maintenance work;
OR: (B) Three years of experience in grounds or park maintenance activities, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity;
OR: (C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in (A) and (B).
POSSESSION OF A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE. PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL AND DRUG TESTING IS REQUIRED. APPLICANT MUST BE APPOINTED FROM THE CIVIL SERVICE ELIGIBLE LIST.
SUBMIT APPLICATION BY MAY 22, 2012 TO:
City of Poughkeepsie
62 Civic Center Plaza
Poughkeepsie, N.Y. 12601