Snow Emergency Declared, Begins January 2, 2014 at 3:00pm
A snow emergency will be declared today beginning at 3:00pm, Thursday, January 2, 2014. Mayor John C. Tkazyik would like to take the opportunity to remind City residents and visitors about the regulations that are put into effect when a “Snow Emergency” is declared.
Bus Service Cancelled for Thursday, January 2nd
All City Bus Services are cancelled as of 2pm today, January 2nd, until further notice.
Sanitation & Recycling Pickup Cancelled for Friday, January 3rd
Sanitation and recycling pickup is cancelled for Friday, January 3rd. Pickup will occur on next scheduled day.
Snow Clearing – Sidewalks & Fire Hydrants
Residents and business owners must clear the sidewalk in front of their residences and businesses as required by the City ordinance. There must be compliance of all parking regulations for your street, and snow must not be put into any roadway. This is a violation of the City of Poughkeepsie Code of Ordinances. Residents must clear all fire hydrants on their properties.
Consider helping your elderly neighbors, or those with medical conditions, by shoveling out the hydrant or sidewalk in front of their home. This act of kindness will benefit the entire neighborhood.
Snow Emergency Routes & Procedures
During a declared Snow Emergency, immediately move your vehicle from streets that are designated as a snow emergency route. (See below for a list of the designated emergency snow routes in accordance with the City of Poughkeepsie Code of Ordinances Section 13-124.). You may park your legally registered, inspected and insured vehicle in any City of Poughkeepsie parking lot that is open to the public, free of charge, during a snow emergency.
Vehicles that are parked on a designated snow emergency route during a snow emergency are subject to being ticketed, towed and impounded at the vehicle owner’s expense. If your vehicle is towed, you will need to pay the impound fee prior to your vehicle being released by first calling the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department at 451.4000 for further instructions.
Do not park your vehicle on snow emergency routes until the snow emergency has been cancelled. The media, including the area radio stations will be notified of both the declaration and cancellation of snow emergencies.
The following is a list of “Snow Emergency” routes:
- Academy Street from Main Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Beechwood Avenue from Ferris Lane to City line
- South Cherry Street from Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- Civic CenterPlaza from Mansion Street to Main Street
- North Clinton Street from Mansion Street to Route 44/55, westbound
- Columbia Street from North-South Arterial Highway to Lincoln Avenue
- North Clover Street from Mill Street to Main Street
- South Clover Street from Main Street to Union Street
- Ferris Lane from Hooker Avenue to Beechwood Avenue
- Grand Avenue from City line at Main Street to Hooker Avenue
- North Hamilton Street from Parker Avenue to Main Street
- South Hamilton Street from Main Street to Livingston Street
- Hooker Avenue from South Hamilton Street to City line
- Jefferson Street, Route 44/55 to Lincoln Avenue
- Lincoln Avenue from Montgomery Street to Livingston Street
- Main Street from Hudson River to City line at Grand Avenue
- Mansion Street from Smith Street to North Clinton Street
- Market Street from Main Street to Montgomery Street
- Montgomery Street from Lincoln Avenue to South Hamilton Street
- Parker Avenue from Washington Street to City line
- Reade Place from South Avenue to Young Street
- Smith Street from City line to Clinton Square
- South Avenue from Montgomery Street to North-South Arterial Highway
- Washington Street from City line to Main Street
- Wilbur Boulevard from Hooker Avenue to City line