Snow Emergency Updates – March 14, 2017
The Snow Emergency in the City of Poughkeepsie declared at 12:00 AM today, Tuesday, March 14th 2017 will remain in effect until further notice.
The countywide State of Emergency for the County of Dutchess, which includes an order prohibiting travel on all county roadways except for emergency personnel, is also in effect until further notice.
Updates as of 3:00 PM, Tuesday, March 14, 2017:
- Snow crews have been out continuously since 2:00 am today. Crews will stay on until all routes are opened up. Overnight plowing will occur tonight into tomorrow. Our Department of Public Works has (7) large trucks plowing and salting and (7) smaller trucks plowing and salting. *Please keep a safe distance if following these vehicles*
- Residents are asked to be patient as emergency routes are being concentrated on first. Secondary routes and side streets may take time to clear.
- We are encouraging the use of public parking lots, and both the City of Poughkeepsie and Poughkeepsie City School District will be attempting to clear parking lots for cars to move off city streets. However, Snow Emergency Routes are and will remain first priority for snow clearing.
- The Poughkeepsie City School District is anticipating closing school for tomorrow, Wednesday March 15th Updates on official school closings can be found www.poughkeepsieschools.org
Residents are advised not to travel. If walking, it is important to stay far from the middle of the street and use sidewalks if possible, as visibility is low and plows are active on the streets. Be sure to check on neighbors, especially the elderly.
Residents are advised to only call 911 in the case of an emergency, and to call 845-451-4000 for all non-emergency phone calls.
Clearing Snow from Hydrants
When shoveling your driveway and sidewalk, please remove the snow from around any fire hydrant common to your home or property. Clearing the snow around the hydrant and shoveling a path to it from the street will give the Fire Department the access that they need.
Under the Codes of the City of Poughkeepsie there is a responsibility of the owner/lessee of property fronting a hydrant to maintain the area clear around the hydrant. Failure to clear and keep clear a hydrant may result in a $100 fine or more
City Hall is closed to the public and to all non-essential personnel for Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
Sanitation & Recycling Collection
Please do not put garbage on the street. Sanitation & Recycling will be cancelled from Tuesday, March 14th – Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
City Bus Service
City Bus Service is cancelled for Tuesday, March 14 and Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
Residents and business owners must clear sidewalks in front of and adjacent to their residences and businesses, as required by the City ordinance. Placing snow into any roadway is a violation of the City of Poughkeepsie Code of Ordinances. Please comply with all parking regulations for your street.
For Updates and Further Information:
- City of Poughkeepise – Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Poughkeepsie City School District – Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Dutchess County – Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Dutchess County Emergency Management – Facebook | Twitter