The City of Poughkeepsie Police Department offers the following tips for a safe Halloween:
Tips for Homeowners
- Clear your yard and sidewalk of any obstacles or decorations that may be hard to see in the dark. Check around your property for flower pots, low tree limbs, garden hoses or anything that may be hazardous to young children rushing through the neighborhood.
- Keep your home well lit, inside and out.
- Always keep Jack O’ Lanterns and hot electric lamps far away from drapes and decorations and out of the way of young children and pets.
- Consider keeping pets confined in an area of the house where they will not be in the way or become frightened by the increased activity.
- The City of Poughkeepsie Police Department will be dispatching extra patrols tonight and for Halloween. Report any suspicious or criminal activity immediately by calling 451-4000, or 911 in case of an emergency.
Tips for Parents
- Make sure costumes fit well and that they are short enough to prevent tripping.
- Consider using hypoallergenic make-up instead of masks, which can obstruct your child’s eyesight.
- Add reflective tape to costumes and trick-or-treat bags for greater visibility.
- Make certain costumes are flame-retardant.
- Trick-or-treaters should have a flashlight with fresh batteries.
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children; older kids should trick-or-treat in groups.
- Set a time when your children should be home and know what route they plan to take.
- Remind your children not to enter strange houses or cars. Children should not approach homes where the front lights are not turned on.
- Remind your children to stay on the sidewalk and not cut across yards or through alleys; remind them to cross streets only at corners and never from between parked cars.
- Do not allow your children to consume their treats until they have checked by an adult at home. Throw away any unwrapped or spoiled items. Give any candy that could be a choking hazard (such as hard candies) to older children.