Poughkeepsie’s Assessor is responsible for:
- Valuing real property
- Establishing and maintaining a fair and equitable assessment roll.
- Determining property use and ownership
- Collecting and maintaining physical inventories for each parcel
- Maintaining property record cards
- Collecting new construction and demolition data
- Maintaining sales file and sales reporting system
- Administering the various tax exemptions authorized under state and local law (see list of exemptions below)
Exemption forms are available in the Assessor’s Office or the NYS Property Tax & Assessment Administration website, under forms and publications.
- Basic STAR – Form #RP 425 – owner occupied, proof of residency required
- Enhanced STAR – Form #RP 425 – owner occupied, 65 years of age, proof of income
- Senior Citizens – Form #RP 467 – owner occupied, 65 years of age, proof of limited income
- Veterans and Cold War – Form #RP 458A or 458B – owner occupied, veteran or un-remarried spouse, DD214, copy of deed
- Persons with Disabilities and Limited Income – Form #RP 459C – owner occupied, must provide award letter or certificate of disability, proof of limited income
Regarding your assessment
As a property owner it is your responsibility to monitor your assessments and exemptions. If you feel you are not being fairly assessed, you should meet with the assessor before the tentative assessment roll is established to discuss your concerns.
If after the tentative assessment roll is filed you still feel your assessment is too high you may file a Grievance Complaint on/before grievance day and present your comps to the Board of Review.
The Assessor’s Office practices an open door policy for all City of Poughkeepsie property owners.