Poughkeepsie’s Department of Building, Planning & Zoning is responsible for:
- Building regulations
- Building permits
- Certificates of occupancy
- Planning and zoning code
- Development and provision of staff support for the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals
- Zoning enforcement, variances and other zoning issues
- Ordinance enforcement including construction codes, property maintenance code and special use permits
- Regulation and issue of licenses for electricians and plumbers
Assembly & Operating Permits, Multiple Residence & Elevator Inspections
The Fire Department is now responsible for issuing Assembly Permits and Operating Permits and for the inspection of multiple residences and elevators. Applications for these permits and inspections must be submitted to the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department, 505 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601. All questions concerning these permits and inspections should be directed to the Fire Department at (845) 451-4079.
Plumbing and Electrical Test
The Plumbing and Electrical test will be given on April 30, 2016, at 9:00 am at City Hall, City of Poughkeepsie – 62 Civic Center Plaza – 3rd Floor in the Common Council Chambers.
For additional information about plumbing tests, please visit: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/construction/documents/C301237020071121.pdf
For additional information about electrical tests, please visit: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/construction/documents/C201137020080812.pdf
For additional information about other construction trade tests, please visit: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/construction/Pages/Construction-Trades-Licensing-Exams.aspx