Public Works

News & Announcements

Sanitation & Recycling Collection Cancelled for Friday, March 17, 2017

Due to the ongoing cleanup effort relating to Winter Storm Stella, Sanitation & Recycling collection is cancelled for Friday, March 17, 2017. Residents are asked to please refrain from placing any garbage or recycling containers at the curb during this time. Sanitation & Recycling collection will resume as soon as
Read More »

Sanitation Collection Suspended for Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Due to snow removal efforts, sanitation collection is suspended for Tuesday, January 24th. Tuesday routes will be collected on Wednesday, January 25th.

Road Work Notice – December 2, 2016

On Friday, December 2, 2016, the following City streets are closed: Daniels Court between Forbus Street and College Avenue. Central Hudson contractors are paving the gas main excavation. The intersection of Daniels at College will be congested with equipment and vehicles. Winnikee Avenue between Bement Avenue and the Arterial. Central Hudson contractors
Read More »

More news»

The Public Works Department oversees multiple divisions including:

Bus Service Water Distribution
Parking Transfer Station
Recycling & Sanitation Urban Tree Division
Sewer Maintenance

Administration and Permits Division

The Administration Division provides a Work Center for basic customer complaint service and administers four (4) important permitting programs for Excavating in the Public Right-of-Way, Underground City Utilities Mark-outs, Temporary Dumpster Placements, and Temporary Sidewalk or Street Closures.

Work Center

The Work Center handles most incoming calls, logging almost 2,000 service requests from the public each year.  These requests for service are directed to any one of the Public Works Divisions or Subdivisions:  Water, Sewer, Storm, City Electric, Buildings and Grounds, Urban Trees, Street Maintenance, Sign Shop, Sanitation, and Enforcement. The Work Center also coordinates emergency requests for city underground utilities mark-outs during regular working hours.

Administration and Permits

Excavation Permit:
Provides permission to excavate in the public right-of way; commonly called a street opening. Doing work on city property requires proof of liability and workers compensation insurance.  The fee for a street opening depends on the age of the pavement and requires a security deposit. (Note: this also requires a permit from the Dept of Building, Planning & Zoning.)

Utility Mark-outs:
Notifications of upcoming excavations in the city are transmitted to the Department of Public Works via the Underground Facilities Protection Organization (UFPO).  The department requires the UFPO No. on the Excavation Permit Application.

Dumpster Permit:
Provides permission for a homeowner or resident to temporarily place a dumpster on a city street or sidewalk.  The application and permit fee is $50.

Sidewalk or Street Closure Permit:
Provides permission for a homeowner or resident to temporarily block a city street or sidewalk.  The application and permit fee is $100.