Archive for the "DPW" Category
Please be advised that on Thursday, July 19, from approximately 8:00am to 4:00pm, the Department of Public Works Water Division will be digging on Yates Boulevard. There is a possibility of a disruption in water service during this time. We look forward to servicing your community and we apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
City of Poughkeepsie
Department of Public Works
The City of Poughkeepsie Street Department will be milling the following streets and intersections on Thursday May 25th, Friday May 26th and Tuesday May 30th 2017:
- Meyer Avenue between College Ave and Fountain Brook Ave
- Fountain Brook Avenue between Meyer Ave and Maryland Ave.
- S Cherry Street between Church St and Hooker Ave.
- Oak Crescent between both S Cherry intersections.
- Intersection of Lown Ct & College Ave.
- Intersection of Daniels Ct & College Ave.
- Intersection of Douglas St & College Ave.
- Intersection of Douglas St & Glenwood Ave.
- Intersection of Worrall Ave & College Ave.
- Hooker Ave-SB lane between S Grand Ave and the Mitchell Ave service drive entrance/298 Hooker Ave.
- Glenwood Ave-NB lane between S Cherry and Meyer.
- Hooker Ave-WB lane between Beechwood Terrace and 156 Hooker Ave.
Work zones will be in place and emergency vehicles will be accommodated.
Due to snow removal efforts, sanitation collection is suspended for Tuesday, January 24th. Tuesday routes will be collected on Wednesday, January 25th.
Snowfall and Snow Emergency information is available for download below. The downloads include Public Works snow removal policies & procedures, Snow Emergency guidelines, Snow Emergency routes and maps, and Fire Hydrant clearing instructions.
When shoveling snow from sidewalks and driveways, please refrain from dumping snow into any roadway. Consider helping your elderly neighbors, or those with medical conditions, by shoveling out the hydrant or sidewalk in front of their home. This act of kindness will benefit the entire neighborhood.
Residents and business owners are reminded to clear snow from fire hydrants and sidewalks on or near their property. Cleared fire hydrants allow the Fire Department quick access to the hydrant during emergency situations. Under the Codes of the City of Poughkeepsie there is a responsibility of the owner/lessee of property fronting a hydrant to maintain the area clear around the hydrant. Failure to clear and keep clear a hydrant may result in a $100 fine or more.
The Bulk Service Program is an opportunity for City residents to drop off household bulk items at the Transfer Station at no cost. The program is available during regular Transfer Station hours of operation. The program runs twice a year, May and September. Curbside pick-up of bulk items is also available for a nominal fee.
BULK DROP-OFF DATES:
- Monday, May 9, 2016 – Saturday, May 14, 2016
- Monday, September 12, 2016 – Saturday, September 17, 2016
CURBSIDE PICK-UP DATES:
Curbside pick-up is scheduled by appointment only
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016
- Wednesday, September 14, 2016
BULK DROP-OFF GUIDELINES:
- Open to all City residents
- No tipping fee for bulk items
- 1 pick-up truck load per City resident. (4’x8’ truck bed with no sidewalls)
- Photo ID and proof of residency required. (utility bill, cable bill or telephone bill)
- Resident must accompany the bulk items
- Prohibited items: Construction debris, yard debris, propane tanks, recyclables and hazardous waste. A fee will be charged for the disposal of hazardous waste items such as: air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, appliances etc.
CURBSIDE PICK-UP GUIDELINES:
- Curbside pick-up fee $35.00
- Fee is waived for disabled residents and residents 65 years and older.
- 5 bulk items maximum per address.
For additional information or to schedule a curbside pick-up, please call DPW Dispatch at (845) 451-4111.
City of Poughkeepsie Transfer Station
26 Howard Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday: 7:00 am to 1:45 pm
Saturday: 6:00 am to 2:00 pm
Closed all City Holidays
Mobilization for the Mill Street Bridge Rehabilitation project will begin on Monday, March 7, 2016. The bridge will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic beginning Monday, March 14, 2016. Traffic will detour to Davies Place. HVB Construction of Harriman, NY will be performing the work.
Detour, Work Zone & Traffic Control Plan»
Mill Street Bridge Rehabilitation Project Schedule – Revised March 1, 2016»
Project Update: Mill Street Bridge Reopened (May 12, 2016)
Marc VanDeWater, a long-time City employee at Central Garage who worked as the Head Auto Mechanic, has retired. He faithfully served the City for over 33 years. We thank him for his dedication to the City of Poughkeepsie and wish him a happy and healthy retirement. Congratulations, Marc!
Marc VanDeWater (left) with Fleet Administrator Mike Innello
The City Transfer Station will be closed on Saturday, December 26th, 2015 and Saturday, January 2nd, 2016.
For questions or additional information, please contact DPW Dispatch at (845) 451-4111.
The City is advancing an intersection realignment project at Creek Road, Smith Street and Little George intersection. The project will entail construction of a modern roundabout at this location. The project was initially authorized in 2000.
The project objectives are to reduce intersection delay, improve intersection safety, develop better pedestrian accommodations, and provide an aesthetically appealing gateway into the City. See links below for additional information and schematic drawing.
Creek Road Update Presentation (May 18, 2016)»
Roundabout Sketch (Revised)»
The Snow Emergency declared on Monday, February 9th will be lifted on Tuesday, February 10th at 12:00am.
City Buses will be running a regular schedule on Tuesday, February 10th.
Sanitation & Recycling collection remains on a staggered schedule. Monday routes will be picked up on Tuesday. Tuesday routes will be picked up on Wednesday, February 11th, 2015.