Mayor Yvonne Flowers has declared a snow emergency effective 3 p.m. Saturday, January 6, requiring vehicles to be removed from designated routes. By that time, residents must find alternative off-street parking or to park their vehicles in public parking lots.
Vehicles may be parked in a City of Poughkeepsie municipal parking lot that is open to the public, free of charge, during the declared emergency.
Vehicles parked on snow emergency routes during a declared emergency are subject to ticketing, towing, or impounding at the vehicle owner’s expense. If your vehicle is towed, an impound fee must be paid prior to it being released. Also, any outstanding parking tickets will need to be paid. Instructions for release can be obtained by calling the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department at (845) 451-4000, which also can be used for all non-emergency phone calls. Residents are advised to call 911 in case of emergency.
The mayor said sanitation services are also being temporarily suspended.
The mayor also reminded residents to keep fire hydrants in front of their homes clear and accessible in case of emergency. Clearing the snow around the hydrant and shoveling a path to it from the street will give the Fire Department the vital access it needs in emergencies. City officials point out that under the city codes, there is a responsibility of the owner/lessee of property fronting a hydrant to maintain the area clear around the hydrant. Failure to clear and keep clear a hydrant may result in a $100 fine or more.
Here is a list of the city’s Designated Snow Emergency Routes:
• Mill Street from Civic Center Plaza to Dongan Square Park
• Academy Street from Main Street to North-South Arterial Highway
• Beechwood Avenue from Ferris Lane to City line
• South Cherry Street from Main Street to Hooker Avenue
• Civic Center Plaza from Mansion Street to Main Street
• North Clinton Street from Mansion Street to Route 44/55, westbound
• Columbia Street from North-South Arterial Highway to Lincoln Avenue
• North Clover Street from Mill Street to Main Street
• South Clover Street from Main Street to Union Street
• Ferris Lane from Hooker Avenue to Beechwood Avenue
• Grand Avenue from City line at Main Street to Hooker Avenue
• North Hamilton Street from Parker Avenue to Main Street
• South Hamilton Street from Main Street to Livingston Street
• Hooker Avenue from South Hamilton Street to City line
• Jefferson Street, Route 44/55 to Lincoln Avenue
• Lincoln Avenue from Montgomery Street to Livingston Street
• Main Street from Hudson River to City line at Grand Avenue
• Mansion Street from Smith Street to North Clinton Street
• Market Street from Main Street to Montgomery Street
• Montgomery Street from Lincoln Avenue to South Hamilton Street
• Parker Avenue from Washington Street to City line
• Reade Place from South Avenue to Young Street
• Smith Street from City line to Clinton Square
• South Avenue from Montgomery Street to North-South Arterial Highway
• Washington Street from City line to Main Street
• Wilbur Boulevard from Hooker Avenue to City line