United States Census 2020
The census is open – make sure you’re counted!
The City of Poughkeepsie is joining forces with Dutchess County Government and many others to raise awareness about the importance of the 2020 census, which is open at https://my2020census.gov . The census asks questions that provide a snapshot of the nation. The federal government undertakes this initiative every 10 years as required by the Constitution.
What’s on the line?
Fair representation and plenty of federal funds are at stake. Census data determines how district lines are drawn for Congressional seats as well as local state and county Legislative seats. Federal funds, totaling about $675 billion, are distributed annually based, in part, on the final census numbers.
How do I participate?
Filling out the form is simple and, for the first time, you can even do it online in 2020. By April 2020, households will receive an invitation to participate. You’ll then have three options to respond: online, by phone, or by mail. The goal is to count people once, only once, and in the right place according to where they live on Census Day, April 1. Census workers will take to the field in May to go to homes that haven’t responded to the 2020 Census to make sure everyone is counted.
What about my privacy?
The information collected by the Census Bureau is confidential and protected under Title 13, U.S. Code, Section 9. All Census Bureau employees take an oath of nondisclosure and are sworn for life to protect the confidentiality of the data. The penalty for unlawful disclosure is a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment of up to five years, or both.
Where can I get more information?
- Census 101: What You Need to Know (.pdf)
- Censo 101: Lo Que Necesita Saber (.pdf)
- Mayor Rolison’s Letter About The Importance of 2020 Census, English (.pdf)
- Mayor Rolison’s Letter About The Importance of 2020 Census, Spanish (.pdf)
- Census 101 Presentation (.pdf)
- 2020 Complete Census Count Map (.pdf)
- The Dutchess County Complete Count Committee has a lot of useful information on its web page: https://www.dutchessny.gov/Departments/Planning/Census-Complete-Count-Committee.htm
- The committee’s email address is [email protected]
- U.S. Census Bureau website is www.2020census.gov